Bubble tea, the most loved drink for Asians, is famous for a reason. I seriously can never walk past a bubble tea shop without craving for a nice and sweet big-sized cup with plenty of toppings! It is super addictive but surprisingly super easy to make. Let’s dig into this homemade bubble tea and tapioca pearls recipe!
Ingredients (Serving: 2)
- 70g tapioca flour
- 10g rice flour
- 10g sugar
- 15g cocoa powder
- 40-50ml boiling water
- 2 tea packs
- 100ml boiling water
- 20g sugar
- 100ml milk
- Mix together tapioca flour, rice flour, sugar, and cocoa powder in a medium bowl.
- Pour freshly boiled water into the bowl little by little and mix well, then knead a bit until the dough becomes elastic and not too sticky.
- Dust tapioca flour on your hands and shape the dough into little balls at the size of a pea.
- Boil water in a small pan, then add all the pearls. Cook the pearls on high for about 2 minutes, take them out until they all float to the top.
- Put the pearls into a bowl of hot water and leave for 5 minutes, then transfer to cold water and let sit for 5 minutes. (this step will ensure your pearls are all soft and chewy)
Traditional milk tea
- Simply make a cup of your favorite black or green tea, then add milk, sugar, and our homemade pearls.
- Bonuses for more tea options!
- Fruity tea: Replace milk by the same amount of juice.
- Thai matcha tea (like mine!): Make the tea like the traditional way and add a bit of heavy cream for a richer taste.
Have I already mentioned how easy it is to make? Yes, the homemade tapioca pearls take a bit of time, but I guarantee you they taste much better than store-bought. Enjoy!