Egg Coffee is one of the most loved drinks in Vietnam, your perfect afternoon treats during the stressful exam season. Other Egg Coffee versions come from Sweden and Norway too, but trust me, this Vietnamese recipe is a totally life-changer.
This can be the weirdest or the best coffee variation you have ever tried. It only takes about 10-15 minutes to make so why not!
- 2 tbsp of your favourite strong coffee
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp condensed milk (or sugar)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Boiling water
- Make a small cup of coffee like usual (about half of your serving cup). Choose Vietnamese coffee brewed with a special filter for the most authentic result.
- Separate egg yolk from the egg white. We only use egg yolk here so keep that egg white for your breakfast!
- Add condensed milk and vanilla extract to the egg yolk bowl.
- Boil a pan of water, place the bowl of egg yolk over the boiling water, and whisk well until the mixture turns creamy and light-coloured for about 4-5 minutes (use an electronic mixer). You should taste a rich, cream-like flavour, not the smell of raw egg.
- Assemble by placing the egg foam on top of your coffee, sprinkle a bit of coffee or cacao powder on top to decorate.
Enjoy your fluffy, foamy, and bubbly hot cup of Egg Coffee!